Chief Executive Officer

The Parkinson’s Action Network (PAN) is seeking a strategic Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with the vision, leadership, management skills, and public policy expertise to lead PAN’s health care policy and national grassroots network programs.
   
PAN serves as the unified voice of the Parkinson’s community on all public policy issues, representing all national organizations, clinicians, patients, and researchers on numerous issues affecting the community. In addition to continuing our work on NIH funding and research, the PAN is now a powerful voice on many crucial issues including Parkinson's-specific programs at the Departments of Defense and Veteran's Affairs, FDA drug approval issues, Affordable Care Act implementation policies, and HHS programs (Medicare and Social Security). PAN accomplishes its work through both staff-level expertise and a grassroots program of over 100 volunteer leaders who represent PAN in their states and local jurisdictions.

PAN is a 501(c)(3) organization with an annual budget of approximately $2 million, with currently about 30% of that support coming directly from the national Parkinson’s organizations serving on PAN’s Board of Directors. The remaining 70% is raised by the PAN CEO and development staff. PAN is located in Washington, DC with a total of 12 highly committed and talented staff, comprised of three government relations experts and two outreach specialists who oversee the grassroots program. The remaining staff is communications, development, and support.

The ideal candidate is an established public policy leader who will commit to helping people with Parkinson’s and the community through public policy. The CEO will have strong relationship-building skills relevant to public policy work, development, and community relations. S/he must be a skilled communicator with demonstrated experience and a desire to promote PAN to outside constituencies and the ability to explain complex and sometimes sensitive issues to a broad array of constituencies. Prior experience in non-profit management is highly preferred. Basic understanding of neurological conditions also preferred but not required.

Responsibilities:

Leadership and Management: Provide vision, oversight, and strategic direction for PAN. Work closely with the Board of Directors and CEOs of the other national Parkinson’s organizations to maintain a public policy agenda for people with Parkinson’s that promotes research and a better quality of life. Serve as spokesperson for the organization to promote and encourage community awareness of and engagement in advocacy for Parkinson’s. Manage and oversee all aspects of the organization, including staff supervision, budget, public policy agenda, annual conference, and grassroots outreach.

Development: In collaboration with the Director of Development, lead all resource development and fundraising, establish personal relationships with current and potential donors, reach out to corporations able to support grassroots programs and public policy efforts and consistently provide leadership for PAN’s fundraising efforts, and oversee annual Udall Dinner.

Board and Community Relations: Work closely with Board of Directors and the CEOs of the other national Parkinson’s organizations to cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship that will support PAN in its role as the unified voice for the community. Help find and recruit new Board members with a commitment to the Parkinson’s community, public policy, and fundraising. In collaboration with the Deputy CEO, establish a strong working relationship with national grassroots leaders and help find and recruit new grassroots leaders who will represent PAN across the country.

Excellent benefits and salary (commensurate with experience). Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to PANCEO@parkinsonsaction.org. Any inquiries can also be sent to that email address. All applications will be kept strictly confidential.